Monday, February 16, 2009

The Chore Chart

5 Now for this very reason also, applying all diligence, in your faith supply moral excellence, and in your moral excellence, knowledge; 6 and in your knowledge, self-control, and in your self-control, perseverance, and in your perseverance, godliness; 7 and in your godliness, brotherly kindness, and in your brotherly kindness, love. 8 For if these qualities are yours and are increasing, they render you neither useless nor unfruitful in the true knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ.

2 Peter 1:5-8 (NASB77)


My wife, God love her, is a list freak.  I, however, am not.  With me, one idea leads to another.  That is 1 chore leads me to thinking about another perhaps not so important task and that to another until I am sorting through software when my wife asks me if I fixed my son's bike. Go figure!


Another trait that sinks me is the sudden attack of an idea.  All the good ideas always come five minutes before I need to go somewhere.  Thus I am in the middle of creative bliss when I hear the words, "Honey, are you ready to go?"  Of course I'm ready.  Well, after I comb my hair and change out of my pajamas...


However, order does have its place in my universe.  Finding out what is most important to my wife and doing it can win her heart.  Finding out what is most important to my creator and doing can bring me great blessing.


I especially love this biblical truth.  Knowledge follows "Moral Excellence."  You would think it was the other way around.  Don't we need to get taught or teach before we expect "Moral Excellence?"  It seems active obedience can be a better teacher than a lecture or a good book.  Hmmm.  I better get busy!

No comments: