Thursday, April 3, 2008

User Friendly Plumbing?

Hi. I'm Tim and I'm a "user-friendly-aholic"

This is going to be an interactive blog today. You try: Hi I'm _______ (fill in the blank). I'm a "user-friendly-aholic" too.

Yes. You know you are. Just join me in reliving my experience with plumbing today.

I down loaded (read: went to Lowes and bought) a new bath fixture today. It came with the usual "throw away" instructions with a couple of useful pictures. It had the basic hardware with a few extras to make you feel like you got something for nothing. And, of course, it expected you were installing to a completely clean and up to date environment. The old environment had some cantankerous objections to being updated.

Initially, the unit appeared to be a match. However, after shutting down all other programs (running water, old putty, riser connections)and imputing the new shiny upgrade, no "WIZARD" showed up to help with installation. If that wasn't enough to disconcert me, the floppy drain plug had no matching drive. Piecing together a little bit of the old program with the new finally settled on a happy _________ (remember - "interactive" - you fill in the blank). I'm still waiting for the bugs to show up on that one.

Finally, having covered every area I could think of, it was time to reboot.

Immediately a virus flooded the work area. I shut it down. Fortunately, silicone (tape) came to the rescue, though I had to manually install it. One hour and thirty minutes later (45 minutes longer than the instructions claimed), I had access. Now if I can just get the local network to go easy on it...

No comments: